Saturday, August 1, 2009

Finding Time...Oh the Frustration!


If you are like me, and your life seems to thrive going from one urgent matter to another, time is a precious commodity. I confess I have not gotten a handle on this particular issue when it comes to writing. In most areas I am a disciplined person. I have to be. On the other hand, life as a pastor sometimes means I must drop what I am doing (maybe something I've disciplined myself to do) and handle the urgent. It's not like the guy heading for the emergency room can stop and wait for me to finish what I am doing. Let's not even talk about the pace that calls come into my office.

You might be one who is blessed with large blocks of time during the day for accomplishing your goals as a writer. I say, more power to you. If you are favored in that way, you need to make your gratitude evident by being disciplined with your gift.

However, if you are like me, you will need to use every free moment that comes along. That means making up for the spontaneity by being disciplined in other areas. For one, make sure you keep organized notes of your research. This is a must for the urgency driven writer. You must be able to get on track and do it quickly. To accomplish this I carry a small, pocket-sized notebook with plenty of pages. Ideally, a journal of that size works the best. I chronicle my research. I write down stray ideas that might come while I'm sitting in the hospital waiting room. I can assure you this little tip can save you a mountain of frustration when you are finally able to sit down at the computer and get back to writing.

Second, when you do find that little bit of time to work on your manuscript, I say let it fly. Don't worry about perfect grammar and spelling. Let the creative juices weave their way to the keyboard. You can edit and re-work your manuscript later, maybe in one of those larger blocks of time. This is how I accomplished the writing of Distant Thunder. You can do it too.

These two little tips for the writer who is unable to block out long segments of time to write are invaluable. Work at it. See what happens. Go with the flow.
Jimmy Root Jr
Distant Thunder, Book One of the Lightning Chronicles A Prophetic Fiction Thriller
Virtual Book Tour with Pump Up Your Book Promotions begins on August 3rd. Follow along on Titter and Facebook. http://twitter.com/jimmyrootjr/ http://facebook.com/jimmyrootjr/


, , , , ,
,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send Me Your Comment