Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Interview With Reviewer Norm Goldman of Book Pleasures

Today, Norm Goldman Publisher & Editor of Bookpleasures.com is pleased to have as our guest, Pastor Jimmy Root Jr. author of Distant Thunder: Book One “The Lightening Chronicles.”


Good day Jimmy and thanks for participating in our interview

Norm:

Could you tell us something about yourself and how you became interested in writing?

Jimmy: My pleasure, Norm. I am about as mid-western as a person can be, born in Kansas and raised in Nebraska, and instilled with the values known to the region. With that upbringing comes an enjoyment of the out of doors, sports, gardening, fishing, and being around lots of friends. My wife and I have been in the ministry for nearly thirty years, including a stint in Colombia, South America that lasted five years. But somewhere along the line I picked up a great love for writing. It has been a part of my life in the ministry for over thirty years, but it was only recently that I decided to scratch an itch that was driving me to write fiction. I am happy I took the plunge.

Norm:

Does your writing career ever conflict with your career as a Pastor?

Jimmy: I believe I have the best of both worlds. I love being a Pastor and just about everything that comes with it. It is my calling and my purpose. But I also have a passion to write. Juggling the two loves has been challenging at times, but the wonderful thing about the people in my congregation is that they are behind me one hundred percent. They come first for me and they know it. I think that frees them to allow me the leeway to write as often as I am able.

Norm:

One of your principal characters in Distant Thunder: Book One “The Lightening Chronicles” is Ty Dempsey who is a pastor like yourself. How much of you is in Ty?

Jimmy: My wife has accused me of having an alter ego. I don’t see Ty Dempsey in that light. If the truth be known, Moshe Eldan fits that side of me. However, much of Ty’s outlook and experience is filtered through my worldview. His roots are different. His style is different. But many of his day-to-day dealings with people were birthed within elements my own history. He is definitely more of a romantic, which also drives my wife crazy.

Norm:

How did you go about creating your other principal character, Captain Moshe Eldan? Is he based on any person you met or know?

Jimmy: I had no particular sketch in mind when I created Moshe, other than what I imagined a fighter pilot’s personality might be. I wanted him to have a semblance of the ordinary, but with a true potential toward the heroic. I believe that nature reflects the majority of those of us who consider ourselves ordinary human beings. So, I folded a true maverick’s nature into him, but I tried to keep it under the surface. More than anything, I wanted to Moshe to represent the nation of Israel as a whole. He is honest. He has an awareness of danger, yet has learned to live on the edge like most Israeli’s. He has reconciled within his mind the fact that Israel is practically alone in the world. I think that gives his personality a certain sadness.

Norm:

What do you want your book to do? Entertain people? Provoke thinking?

Jimmy: I really hadn’t set out to write a message-oriented book when I began Distant Thunder. However, the more I pursued the storylines the more a message began to surface. We obviously live in a world filled with peril, though many in the west seem to have fallen asleep to the danger of our post 9-11 world. I find that especially true among Christianity. The more I wrote, the more I found myself desiring to sound a warning of what is to come. My intent is not to generate fear, but to demonstrate that there is great hope if we will continue to seek the truth. But I believe the book, and series, are very entertaining and thrilling.

Norm:

Where did all the information come from concerning the Israeli Air Force and its air manoeuvres?

Jimmy: I have always held fighter pilots in high esteem. In fact, at the age of sixteen I visited with a US Navy recruiter to ascertain the possibilities of becoming an F-14 Tomcat pilot. That life never panned out, but I kept up with airborne weaponry and assets as best I could. When I began to build Moshe’s character it became a matter of researching the history of the Israeli Air Force, its military assets, and its incredible aerial history. Creating aerial flight and combat sequences happened on a flight simulator right on my computer. That may be why the crash scenes are so true to life. After the book was done I met a 9th Air Force combat instructor and F-15 ace who graciously reviewed the material. He gave it a full thumbs up, which is quite gratifying for someone who has never piloted a plane.

Norm:

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in writing your book?

Jimmy: The most surprising moments came when I allowed the story to form itself. I did very little outlining other than the development of my characters and the ultimate end game. The thrill came in actually allowing the storylines to happen naturally. I found myself laughing at times. I had a tear or two slip from my eyes, and I can hardly describe how my heart was pounding while I wrote the action sequences. It is something I never expected to experience.

Norm:

Do you have a local writing community or fellow writers that you look to for support and advice?

Jimmy: Not when I wrote Distant Thunder. I was blessed to discover a small writers group as I was writing the sequel, and they have been a huge source of support and enjoyment. I’ve heard horror stories about such groups, but my experience has been extremely positive.

Norm:

Can you tell us how you found representation for your book? Did you pitch it to an agent, or query publishers who would most likely publish this type of book? Any rejections? Did you self-publish?

Jimmy: I admit I was a novice at the whole enterprise of writing and publishing. When my manuscript was complete I began what I thought would be an easy process. I queried agents and publishers alike with over two hundred emails and letters. The few who responded offered little by way of encouragement. Most chose not to respond. Thankfully, I possess a nature that takes rejection and converts it into a challenge. You can imagine what a joyful day it was when three traditional publishers actually offered a contract. I chose the publisher that seemed to fit my needs, American Book Publishers.

Norm:

How do you celebrate a novel's completion?

Jimmy: This may sound crazy, but I celebrated by starting right in on the sequel. Again, I was a novice. The writing of Distant Thunder took exactly 60 days. No one ever told me it was supposed to take months or years. I just kept on writing. It wasn’t until the first copy of the author’s run came that I celebrated by taking my wonderful wife out for dinner. I suppose ignorance can be bliss in some ways.

Norm:

What is next for Pastor Jimmy and how can our readers find out more about you?

Jimmy: I am now in the editing stage of the second book of the series. It is titled A Gathering Storm. I am also about halfway through the finale called, Then Comes Lightning. After the Lightning Chronicles is complete I plan to write an extended historical fiction series based on the life of Old Testament prophet, Daniel. Readers can find out more about myself and what is behind Distant Thunder by visiting my website at www.lightningchronicles.com. I also write a blog on Biblical prophecy at www.prophecyalert.blogspot.com, and a blog to encourage new authors at www.lightningchronicles.blogspot.com. In the meantime, I will continue my day job of serving as a Pastor.

Norm:

Is there anything else you wish to say that we have not covered?

Jimmy: Just a word of encouragement to budding authors. Don’t give up your dream. Persevere, even when the writing is difficult and the rejections are mounting. It is your dream. It is worth pursuing.

Thanks once again and good luck with all of your future endeavors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send Me Your Comment